My history in five sentences.
I was born and raised in Colorado and have lived all over the state.
My husband and I have been married for 48 years. We have two beautiful children and an even more beautiful Grand daughter.
Both children attended school in APS from preschool to graduation. Both graduated from Colorado Universities as did my husband and I.
My great grandmother, my grandmother, my mother , my sister in law and my daughter are all teachers. I think you can see education is in my blood.
Challenges facing APS.
The three main challenges are:
1. Closing the gap between the south and north schools–not just academically but socially and economically as well.
2. Truly celebrating our diversity by providing cultural and language understanding.
3. The district need to hear from the students, the parents, the community and the classified staff.
The district cannot continue to be oblivious to the needs and concerns of the citizens of the district.
Three things the school district has done well
1. It has raised the scores all over the district.
2. It has handled a major economic setback with out affecting the classrooms as much as first anticipated
3. Graduation rate is going up and dropout rate is going down.
Three people who inspire me
1. Eleanor Roosevelt–She was her own woman despite being married to a remarkable president.She said,’Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
2. Dolores Huerta–she was able to give an oppressed people hope and still be a mother to 11 children.
3. My family who inspire me every day
Challenge faced and overcame
When AEA did not support me,I almost quit. I am not a quitter so I decided I would have to try harder and work harder.
I asked several people who know campaigns to help me be a strategist and this is what I am doing.
I know I am the best candidate because of my experience, knowledge and integrity. I just hope I have convinced the voters that I am.
I am running for Aurora Public schools Board of education because i fear we are allowing too many charter schools into APS.
Charter schools are the beginning of privatization of public education.
Public education is the cornerstone of our democracy and if it gets privatized then the purpose will be to educate only those who can afford it. That is not what our democracy was founded upon.
There are six of the candidates who are supported by DFER. Do you think that APS might be targeted?